How to calculate capital gains and losses on rental property Apr 16th

The “Big Five” Canadian banks offer investment funds and include Royal Bank of Canada, Toronto Dominion Bank (TD Canada Trust), Bank of Nova Scotia, Bank of Montreal and Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC). Let’s explore the best place for you to invest.
Latest News

RCMP arrest 2 after alleged online threats against Justin Trudeau - Dec 21st

RCMP arrest 2 after alleged online threats against Justin Trudeau  CBC.caJustin Trudeau says he will be lower profile, more business-like in second mandate  National PostFinance quietly halts change in tax rules for stock options  CBC.caTrudeau says he won’t let provi.... More »

How to keep your holiday spending in check Nov 29th

According to Equifax Canada data, there was a 1.9% rise in total debt per consumer at the end of the second quarter in 2019. Unsurprisingly, a recent survey commissioned by Equifax also found that 55% of Canadians say they’ll be spending less on holiday gifts this year. Hmm, I wonder why that.... More »

Feds pledge $15.3M for opioid research, harm reduction - CTV News Apr 25th

Feds pledge $15.3M for opioid research, harm reduction  CTV NewsThe federal government announced an investment Wednesday of more than $15 million earmarked for opioid research and harm reduction initiatives..... More »

Facebook Dating app feature: How to use, news - Sep 5th

Facebook Dating app feature: How to use, news  Vox.comFacebook leans on Instagram to boost new dating service  BNNBloomberg.caFriends with benefits: Can Facebook tackle your love life?  CTV News7 Opening Lines To Use On Facebook Dating, So Go Shoot Your Shot By Corinne .... More »

Scheer accused of breaking law, falsely claiming he was once an insurance broker - National Post Sep 30th

Scheer accused of breaking law, falsely claiming he was once an insurance broker  National PostLiberals ask for an investigation of Scheer's insurance industry credentials  CBC NewsScheer would end Trudeau's experiment with less partisan Senate  CTV NewsLiberals call fo.... More »
Q.  I am selling my rental property, which I lived in for six years before renting it out the last five years. I do not own another home and I am selling this one for less than market value because some horrible renters caused the property to become run down. My mortgage principal is $263,000 and I am selling privately (to avoid real estate commission costs) for $325,000. What do I need to know in regards to capital gains reporting and taxes?
– Chris
A. When you convert a home that is your principal residence into a rental property, this is considered a change in use. You are deemed to dispose of the property at the fair market value at that time, and immediately reacquire it. Future capital gains may then apply based upon subsequent growth in the property’s value.
Under subsection 45(2) of the Income Tax Act, it’s possible to continue treating a principal residence converted to a rental property as your principal residence for up to four years. There are, however, several conditions:
1) You must report the subsequent rental income;
2) You cannot claim depreciation (capital cost allowance) on the property as a tax deduction;
3) You cannot designate another property as your principal residence;
4) You must be a Canadian resident…

Continue Reading On »


Compare insurance quotes through - save time and money!