Can I reclaim the withholding tax on my U.S. stocks? Mar 4th

How to go about securing the best rate and plan for your credit card in Canada.
Latest News

7 everyday card questions that can leave you confused + MORE Mar 21st

Here are the most common simple yet vexing questions regarding credit and debit cards, and how you can answer them with confidence..... More »

Open a savings account for your toddler + MORE Mar 16th

OTTAWA — Omar Abouzaher remembers going to the bank with his daughter so she could make her first deposit into an account that was opened for her when she was just a toddler. The regional vice-president for the Bank of Montreal’s daughter was four when they took her piggy bank to deposit the.... More »
 credit card rates

How a young couple can kill $142,000 in debt and start investing Mar 19th

iStock Julie and David live in Calgary with their two daughters, ages 10 and 7. David, 40, is a cable technician earning $150,000 annually while Julie, 37, works part-time at a retail store near home earning $6,000 annually. In 2014, their lives changed when David fell on the job and injured his lef.... More »

Rate survey: Average card APR holds still at 16.41 percent + MORE Mar 22nd

March 21, 2018: Interest rates on new credit card offers didn’t budge this week, according to the Weekly Credit Card Rate Report..... More »

Aeroplan and Esso to split as the latter joins forces with PC Optimum + MORE Mar 15th

Late on Monday night news came out that the relationship between Esso and Aeroplan was coming to end on May 31 (Thanks to Anshul at PointsMilesandBling for the heads up) Following that, yesterday morning further news came out that Esso was partnering with Loblaw's PC Optimum program. Of course for A.... More »
Can I reclaim the withholding tax on my U.S. stocks?
Q. I own U.S. stocks and Canadian stocks in my RRSP and RESP accounts for my kids. I do all the investing myself. I get annual performance statements from the bank that holds my RRSP online account and it shows about $200 in withholding tax. What is this? How can I claim it when I file taxes, and how can I get it back? I heard there was a form called W8 that can help. Is this accurate?
Thanks, Malay
Hi Malay. RRSPs are exempt from U.S. withholding taxes but RESPs and TFSAs are not. This is because the U.S. does not recognize them as tax-deferred registered accounts. Therefore, foreign taxes paid withheld in an RESP or TFSA cannot be recovered.
If these withholdings were in non-registered accounts, you could reduce your taxes on the foreign income paid to Canada by filing for a foreign tax credit using Schedule 1. This ensures that you don’t pay tax on the same income in both Canada and the foreign jurisdiction. That option, however, is not available when the foreign income is within a registered account for the reasons mentioned above…

Continue Reading On »


Compare insurance quotes through - save time and money!